Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sauerkraut Watch, Day 16

More than two weeks have passed since the rosy-looking kraut went into the basement to quietly ferment away. Every time I go down there, I'm reminded I threw in two heads of garlic and one red onion for shits and giggles. It smells like a sweaty Oktoberfest down there.

This whole time, only two small patches of mold materialized. Skimmed with a sieve a couple of times, but really nothing to get. I wondered if I used too much salt, all eyeballed (of course). It was time to throw this baby into the pool to find out what it's made of.

So on Wednesday I pulled out a quart mason jar's worth and tossed it in the fridge. Last night I grilled off two Widmer hefeweizen brats from New Seasons... overcooked them (of course), but they got nice and crispy, and managed to stay moist inside. I didn't even bother with a bun, or a side of mustard (what??), just wanted the brat and kraut to duke it out. It turns out they play well together. There's a background harmony of spice in both - a nutmeg-y, complex, rich sausage vs. acidic, briny vegetables and occasional flurry of caraway or cumin. I was skeptical about the juniper berries, but they added something. Maybe a dry, slightly medicinal presence, but worth it... and nice to know I could use them for something other than turkey brines at Thanksgiving.

I love this stuff. The cabbage, carrot and beets are soft but slightly crunchy. Their mass is already sour sauer and vinegar-y, but I can't wait to see what it's like in the coming weeks. This week, think I'll use some in crock-pot sauerbraten. Oh yeah. BYOS.*

*bring your own spaetzle

No comments:

Post a Comment