Saturday, August 15, 2009

Your Food Hang-Ups

Sometimes I think there are some food taste divides that are difficult to reconcile. It would be hard to be close with someone who doesn't love olive oil, garlic, BBQ, chili peppers, coffee, beer, French bread, onion, fresh fruit, bacon, mustard, avocado, dark chocolate, or taco-truck tacos. If I thought about it for another five minutes, I could name another dozen. Kind of a dick, you're thinking.

But to me, you'd be a dick for prioritizing fleeting and superficial things over something as essential and bonding as food. Having a drink and breaking bread with people who appreciate similar foods. Does it get any better than that?? Maybe if you take no interest in cooking, or prefer not to know how food magically ends up on your plate.

I have too much pride to be that passive about food, or any necessity for that matter. Get your hands dirty, plant some vegetables in the summer. And get your kids to do it, even if you don't like to. No excuses. We all need to value food a little more and stop seeing it as a joyless, on-the-run fuel.

Though I can count my readers on my hands, I know you're got some opinionated shit to get out there... So what is it that you appreciate? What hang-ups are irreconcilable for you?

1 comment:

  1. My hang-up is that people don't make the time to enjoy food or cook food the way it was meant to be. Most only know what they see on TV. TGI McFlabers, The Kangaroo, etc etc etc. Find a local eatery sheep!
    Eat good food, try something off the wall, LIVE.......you have a pulse right!

    ReplyDelete