Friday, August 14, 2009

On the clock: Sour Dills

With the crock free from kraut, it was begging for some pickling cukes just coming into season. Spicy Garlic Sour Dills came to mind, and the plan was set to action. A friend and co-worker hooked me up with a bag of green and yellow cucumbers, culled at the end of his farmer's market shift (thank you). Later I finally found some more green cukes to fill the crock.

The problem was, I couldn't find fresh dill flowers or grape leaves to save my life. At the last moment I happened upon some dill heads at the store. But the grape leaves, a necessary ingredient to keep the pickles crisp, were still the last pieces to get. My old neighbor has a giant grape vine taking over his property line, including a four-story poplar tree in his back yard. Days ago I asked him if I could grab a few leaves for pickles, but that was days ago. His memory and eyesight ain't what they used to be, so yeah, getting shot in the ass with rock salt came to mind. Eventually, I talked myself over there.

Finally on Wednesday, I assembled the following:

12 washed, unsprayed grape leaves (lining the crock bottom)
10 heads- fresh OG dill flowers
2 heads- OG garlic- peeled, cloves cut in half
1/2 bulb - fresh OG onion, cut into coarse, long pieces
1/2 cup- black peppercorns
1/4 cup- allspice berries
1/4 cup- mustard seed
1/2 cup- whole clove
1/4 cup- coriander seed
1- cinnamon stick
10 bay leaves
1/4 cup- crushed red peppers
3/4 cup- Kosher salt
1+ gallon filtered water
8lbs+(?)- OG green and yellow pickling cucumbers

As much as I wish I had a real crock, it's nice to be able to watch all these ingredients take shape. Though this picture was taken Wednesday, the mixture has already become cloudy and murky. But that's exactly what you want from sour pickles.

So why sours? Because they're real pickles. And nobody does them here and I'm fucking tired of hearing New York transplants complain about the state of bagels, pizza and dills here in Portland. I'm doing my part, now shut up... This will take a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment